Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Three Immortals

I have been practicing Feng Shui for over 15 years and I have spent many of these years dispelling the myth that Feng Shui is a religion or a cult.  Another common myth is that in order to have "good Feng Shui" one must display countless Chinese tchotckes or have a waving Lucky Cat in their home or business.

I recently had to reevaluate my own perceptions about the myth and lore and symbolism inherent in Feng Shui.  Feng Shui is ancient and powerful.  I love the symbolism and meaning behind so much of the practice.

I take care of my elderly Uncle Tom, one of my very favorite people in the entire world.  He is witty and deep.  He has wisdom and life lessons beyond my wildest dreams.  He served in the military and traveled the world for over 20 years, gathering countless memories along the way.  Even though he has mild dementia, he recalls the stories of his past in great detail.  One day recently, while at his house I asked him about some of the carved wooden figures that he gathered on his trips to Singapore, the Phillipines, Hong Kong.  I was drawn to these three smaller carvings.  I recognized some of the symbolism, but wanted to know more.

 (image of my new carved gifts)

 Tom said that every Asian business, political official or person of importance always displayed the "Three Immortals" in their office or a prominent place in their home.  He offered them to me, saying he knew with my love of Feng Shui and energy, I would appreciate them.
After doing a little research, I found out that these little fellas are totems of Abundance and blessings on every level.  Their names (don't laugh!!) are Fuk Luk Sau or Fu Lu Shou.  Fuk typically holds either a scroll or a child and he represents Good Descendant Luck.  Luk holds either a gold ingot or a scepter and he represents Prosperity.  Sau (Shou) holds either a staff, a peach or a Wu Lou (health gourd) and he symbolizes longevity and a happy/healthy life.  Grouped together, the Three Immortals symbolize wealth, happiness and longevity.  Who could ask for anything more?

Ofcourse, now I am noticing carved wooden totems on design blogs:

(source: Pinterest)
I'm not sure if I'll be painting my newest symbolic gift, but I do know that I am grateful for the auspicious blessings and the wisdom they promise to bring into our home!

What symbols are on display in your home that add positive energy, evoke good memories or just make you smile?


1 comment:

  1. LOVE your writing, T! You are amazing and these images make me want to take charge of our space. I have put that on the back burner in our home- for so many reasons, and you help me see that these reasons are simply excuses. Thank you for the great read, the giggles, and the kick in the booty this eve of the Chinese new year.

    ReplyDelete